Police appeared at Prince Harry’s door in the early hours of the morning the night his grandfather died after he didn’t pick up calls from his family.
Prince Harry discovered the tragic news of his grandfather’s death when he was visited by police after sleeping through calls in the early hours of the morning, it’s reported.
Police were forced to visit the royal’s LA home after he didn’t pick up to US Embassy officials who called after 3am to tell him of Prince Philip’s death, TMZ claims.
reports that after repeated attempt to contact Harry, the Embassy representative allegedly called the sheriff’s department in Santa Barbara to ask that an officer be sent to the Duke’s home in exclusive Montecito.
Harry was finally told of Philip’s death after a police officer arrived at the gates of the property he shares with Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and told him to call the Embassy urgently.
It’s not known whether the royal’s phone was on silent, turned off or if he and Meghan are simply sound sleepers.
Prince Philip died on the morning of April 9 at Windsor Castle, eight time zones ahead of California.
The news was announced by Buckingham Palace in a statement at 12 noon UK time. In LA, it would have been 4am.
It’s understood the Royal Family was desperate to tell Harry of the death personally to spare him the distress of learning the news in the media first.
The Duke of Sussex released a poignant tribute to his grandfather last month, calling him a “master of the barbecue, legend of banter, and cheeky right till the end”.
Harry later returned to the UK for the funeral without pregnant Meghan, who was advised not to travel by her doctors.
He revealed last week he’d been “afraid” to return and see his family face-to-face for the first time in a year – because it could “trigger” his past trauma.
Philip died just a month after Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey aired.
During the bombshell chat, the pair made allegations that a senior royal had made a racist comment about the colour of Archie’s skin while Meghan was still pregnant.
Oprah later clarified neither the Queen nor the Duke of Edinburgh had been responsible for the comment.
Meghan also told the chat show host she had no longer wanted to be alive while pregnant with her firstborn.
The revelations made during the interview are thought to have made The Firm even more eager to alert Harry of Philip’s death.
During Harry’s return, he spoke privately with brother William and father Charles, and millions of royal fans hoped a reconciliation was on the way.
However, he has since given more interviews – and in a new documentary claimed his life was a “nightmare” between the ages of 28 and 32.
In The Me You Can’t See, the Duke accused the royals of showing “total neglect” for his mental health woes.
And he claimed Charles caused him to “suffer” and didn’t “make it right” for him after his mother’s death in 1997.
It’s reported the Queen gave her blessing for Harry’s involvement in the documentary because she was told it would cover soldiers’ mental health.
But she and Charles were left “absolutely gobsmacked” when they were informed of Harry’s latest “personal attacks” in the show.
And the Duke’s relationship with his family in the UK is now “hanging by a thread”, a source says.
“Those around the Queen and Prince Charles are absolutely gobsmacked by what has happened,” a source close to Buckingham Palace told the Daily Mail.
“It is a question of trust, and honestly any of that is hanging by a thread at the moment.
This article originally appeared inand is republished here with permission