— Gadgets

Sixteen additional coronavirus cases recorded in NSW as new restrictions announced

Sixteen new coronavirus cases have been detected in New South Wales overnight as health authorities announced a slew of restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant. 

The official case tally for Wednesday was 10 infections and included seven previously announced cases. A further 13 cases were recorded after the 8pm cut off and will be included in Thursday’s numbers. 

A total of 31 cases have now been linked to the Bondi cluster. 

“Our government will take action today to limit the spread of what is a very contagious variant of COVID-19,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Wednesday. 

“We don’t take these steps lightly and we never want to impose restrictions unless we absolutely have to.”

The new restrictions will be introduced across Greater Sydney, the Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour regions and come into force from 4pm on Wednesday. 

They include a five-person visitor limit, including children, at home, compulsory face masks in all non-residential indoor settings, a ban on dancing in indoor venues, no standing-up drinking at public venues, a 20-person limit on gym classes and compulsory masks, and the reintroduction of the one person per four square metre rule at all venues, including weddings and funerals.

Outdoor seated events will also be limited to 50 per cent capacity and people who live or work in the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, or Woollahra local government areas are barred from leaving metropolitan Sydney for non-essential travel.

The three new cases included in Wednesday’s figures include a man in his 50s who works in Bondi Junction, a woman in her 40s from Wollongong who is a close contact of a previously identified case, and a man in his 30s from south-west Sydney who is also a close contact.

Of the 13 cases identified overnight, eight have been linked to a birthday party in West Hoxton, near Liverpool in western Sydney, which was attended by a previously identified case who has been linked to the Bondi cluster.

Ten cases have since been linked to the party, including a young girl who attended Little Zak’s Academy childcare centre in Narellan Vale in Sydney’s south-west. 

The childcare centre confirmed it had closed for cleaning and sanitisation in a Facebook post on Wednesday. 

One of the remaining overnight cases is a close contact of a previously reported case linked to the Bondi cluster and the source of transmission for four of the cases is currently unknown. 

“We know that all either reside or work in the south-eastern Sydney area so that gives us some comfort about the geographical spread,” Chief Medical Officer Kerry Chant said.

“There has obviously been some strains of transmission that have had the ability to amplify and we need those high testing rates and everyone to follow public health advice.”

More to come

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button