Two new coronavirus cases have been detected in New South Wales, taking the number of cases linked to a Sydney cluster to 11.
The official tally for Monday is two new locally transmitted cases,. Two additional cases were discovered after the 8pm cut off and will be included in Tuesday’s figures, NSW Health said.
Both of the cases identified overnight, a woman in her 50s from Sydney’s south and a man in his 50s from the Sutherland Shire, are close contacts of previously identified cases and were isolating when they returned their positive result.
Monday’s cases, identified from more than 25,000 tests, include a woman and man in their 50s from the Sutherland Shire, who are both close contacts of a previously reported case and have been isolating.
The new cases take the total number of COVID-19 cases recorded in the state to 5,460.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Sunday announced further public health measures designed to quell the outbreak, including mandatory face masks in indoor settings across seven local government areas in Sydney.
They include Randwick, Bayside, Botany, Inner West, City of Sydney, Waverley and Woollahra.
“We ask everybody to not be complacent,” she said, flagging that further restrictions could be introduced if necessary.
“We know everybody is tired. All of us are. We have to keep doing the right thing until we get the vaccine to the majority of our population.”
The was updated on Sunday evening to include shopping centres, clothing outlets, cafes, restaurants and fitness facilities in Drummoyne, Parramatta, Hurstville, Castle Hill, Merrylands and Baulkham Hills.
Health authorities are urging anyone with even mild cold-like symptoms to come forward for testing and isolate until a result is returned. Residents of Sydney’s eastern suburbs and Wollongong have been asked to be “especially vigilant”.
More to come